| Simplifying Immigration | is not affiliated with the Canadian Government or any Government Agency.


Welcome back. Go to your forms.

Extension Tourist Visa

Visiting Canada can be a lot of fun, in fact, it may be so fun that you might not be ready to leave when your visitor visa expires. However, you should go through some application steps to ensure that Citizenship and Immigration Canada does not harm your status. You can either re-apply for a visitor visa, or you can apply to become a Permanent Resident. Immigration Direct can help you get your Permanent Resident Card any time!

If you are currently within Canada you will have a stamp within your passport which will state how long you are allowed to stay in Canada under that visa. If you want to continue visiting Canada you will have to apply for an extension at least 30 days before the expiry date occurs. If the expiry date passes while your application is in process with the CIC you will still be considered legally within Canada until CIC responds to your application.

You may submit your application online, but it is immensely important that you file all of the necessary forms correctly. If they aren’t your application will be returned to you and you may have to leave Canada. Below is a list of the documents that you will have to include on your application:

  • IMM 5708, Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or Temporary Resident Permit Holder. In this circumstance you will be applying to extend your stay.
  • The Document Checklist that shows that you have collected the necessary documentation for your application.
  • A Stamped Receipt that shows that you paid the requisite fees to the CIC.
  • If you used a representative to apply for a visa extension you will need to file form IMM 5476, Use of a Representative.
  • If necessary you will also have to submit either a Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (IMM 5409), or a photocopy of your marriage certificate.
  • You will also have to photocopy your passport. It is very important to include in these photocopies your biographic information and the visa stamp from your most recent visit to Canada.
  • If you didn’t use your passport you should use whatever document you used to enter Canada. This could be a citizenship certificate, permanent residency card or any other kind of identification you might have used.
  • If you have a current immigration document, a photocopy of it must be submitted as well.
  • Proof of funds if it is necessary.
  • A photocopy of your return ticket should also be included if you have it.

In order to get your receipt of payment you will need to pay the required fee. You can either pay online or through a Canadian bank, but for the purpose of this article we will be discussing the online process. You must have a PDF reader program, a printer and an email address in order to pay for your visa extension online. After you pay with a valid credit card (the fee is a flat rate of $75) a confirmation page will be sent to your email. This will be your receipt and you must include it in your application.

After you have paid the required fees and completed the application you may then submit your application and you will soon receive your visitor’s extension.

Goto Top