About Form CIT 0001
Form CIT 0001 is the application for a new or replacement Citizenship Card. A Citizenship Card shows proof of Canadian Citizenship. You must already be a Canadian citizen to be eligible to file; this is NOT an application for citizenship. Form CIT 0001 may be used to get proof of citizenship for a minor child (under age 18), but it must be filed by a person over age 18.
Replacing Your Citizenship Card
You can use Form CIT 0001 to replace your Citizenship Card if it was lost, stolen or damaged, or the information on your card is incorrect or outdated.
Who Should Apply - Canadian Citizenship by Parentage
You must be a Canadian citizen to be eligible to file Form CIT 0001. This is NOT an application for Canadian citizenship.
Effective in April 2009, the rules change for individuals born outside of Canada to a Canadian parent. The change made to the Citizenship Act now limits citizenship to the first generation born or adopted outside of Canada.
Children born outside of Canada to a Canadian citizen (parent) will only be considered at the time of birth if:
- The parent was born in Canada or
- The parent became a Canadian citizen by naturalization.
Children born outside of Canada and adopted by a Canadian citizen will only be eligible for
Canadian citizenship under the adoption provisions of the Citizenship Act if:
- The adoptive parent was born in Canada or
- The adoptive parent became a Canadian citizen by naturalization.
Children who are not eligible for Canadian citizenship under the Citizenship Act may be eligible to be sponsored as a permanent resident. Children under the age of 18 may apply for citizenship as soon as they become a permanent resident.
Form CIT 0001 Requirements & Supporting Documentation
All applicants must be a Canadian citizen to be eligible to apply. Supporting documentation differs depending on the reason you are applying. The Document Checklist (CIT 0014) can help you determine which documents to include.
Note that if this is your first citizenship certificate, you will need to provide certified copies of your documents. If this is a replacement application, then you will simply need to provide photocopies of your documents, unless otherwise stated.
What Are the Steps in the Canada Citizenship Card Process Using Form CIT 0001
- Complete your application quickly and correctly with our step-by-step guidance that lead your through question and download blank forms available directly from the IRCC (formerly known as the CIC). You will need to send copies of required documents with your application.
- Pay the government filing fee online. The fee paid the Government of Canda is separate from the fee paid to Immigration Direct.
- Once your application is approved, your Citizenship Card will be sent to you.