New Definition for Age of Dependants in Canada

New definition of age of dependants now in forceThe Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship fulfilled a key mandate on October 27, 2017, by announcing that the definition of the age of dependants has been changed. Previously, the age of dependants was defined as “under 19” but with the change, the new definition will be “under 22.”

According to the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, this change will ensure more individuals can remain with their families, keeping families together. The Minister reports that keeping families together is a key mandate for the government of Canada and that keeping families together strengthens communities and facilitates integration into Canadian society.

All new applications Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) receives on or following October 24, 2017, will be subject to the new rule. Children who are over the age of 22 but are dependent on their parents due to a medical or mental condition will continue to qualify for dependent status.

What Can I Do If My Child is a Dependant Under the New Rule?

If you have an existing application in the process as of May 3, 2017, you may also be able to sponsor or add children if they qualify under the new rules. An online web tool can help applicants determine if their child qualifies as a dependant. If your child qualifies and your application is already under process as of May 3, 2017, you will need to notify IRCC immediately. You have until January 31, 2018, to notify the IRCC that you wish to add or sponsor your child. The IRCC will contact you to explain how to add your child to the application.

If your child does not qualify as a dependant, he or she may be able to immigrate to Canada independently on their own. Immigration Direct has resources to help you find ways you can immigrate and resources to help you apply. From FAQs to detailed information to help you apply, Immigration Direct has the resources you need.

How to Replace a Lost Record of Landing

How to Replace a Lost Record of LandingA Record of Landing, also known as Form IMM 1000, is issued to you if you take up permanent residence in Canada. It is an important form and will be required of you if you ever want to apply for a PR card or for naturalization. It may also be required to apply for a pension and for other benefits.

Since without this form you will have a hard time proving permanent residency, you will want to replace it right away. You can do this by filing an Application for a Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document (IMM 5009) and submitting it with the required application fee and requested documents.

In some cases, you may need your record of landing sooner. For example, if you are applying for a pension, waiting months for processing can mean you do not get your pension for some time. If you need your replacement record of landing sooner, apply for urgent processing.

What if My Record of Landing is Has Errors on It?

Your record of landing is meant to be accurate at the time you arrive in Canada. If after you arrive in Canada your personal information changes, you will not need to make updates to your record of landing. However, if your record of landing contains errors and does not reflect your name, status or other information at your time of entry, you will need to amend your document. You can do this by completing and filing a Request to Amend Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Valid Temporary Resident Documents (IMM 5218).

You can only use IMM 5218 to correct errors made by immigration officials. You can apply for urgent processing if you cannot obtain benefits or if you risk losing employment due to mistakes made on your documents.

As part of IMM 5218, you may need to submit supporting documents. If some of the requested documents are in a language other than English or French, you will need to have them translated. This translation cannot be completed by you or a family member but instead, must be completed by a certified Canadian translator or a translator who submits an affidavit attesting to the accuracy of the translation.

If you have questions about replacing or correcting a record of landing or are having challenges with the process, Immigration Direct has a guide to help you replace your documents as well as resources to help you correct your record of landing. Our page contains FAQs and other helpful resources, so feel free to visit our site today.

How to Replace a Lost Student Permit

To study in Canada, you may need a student permit. You must obtain this permit before arriving in Canada. In addition to the permit, you may need an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or temporary resident visa to enter and remain in the country as you study.

I Lost My Student Permit, What Do I Do?

To prove your status and eligibility to study in Canada, it is important you have your student permit. Your school may require the permit when you sign up for new classes or when you register for a new semester.

If your student permit is lost, stolen or damaged your status as a student in Canada will not expire, but you will still want to replace the document at once so you can prove your status in the country easily. You can apply for a replacement student permit by filing an Application for a Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document (IMM 5009).

To file this form, download the instructions (IMM 5545) and be sure to follow them carefully. The Application for a Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document is four pages long and asks for identifying information, details about the documents you are requesting, and information about your immigration status. To complete the form, you will need to attach the requested documents and pay a fee. You can request urgent processing if you need a copy of your student permit at once.

My Schooling Has Changed—Do I Need to Change My Student Permit?

Education is a journey and while you are studying in Canada, your situation may change. You may want to change the conditions of your student permit so you can work and study in Canada or you may want to extend your stay. You may even switch programs or schools.

Virtually any changes to your education will require modifications to your student permit, whether you are studying in a new place or want to study something different or want to take part in a different program or degree. In these situations, you will need to complete and file an Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Student (IMM 5709). You may also need to file other forms to report changes in your status if you get married or enter a common-law relationship.

Getting Your Student Permit Replacement

Be sure to check over the completed form before you mail it and ensure you are using the latest form. Any errors made on your application can delay receipt of your student permit replacement.

If you find the forms confusing and need help, Immigration Direct as a guide to assist you. The website also has information about correcting your student permit if there are errors on it.

How to Replace a Lost Work Permit

A work permit allows you to work in Canada if you don’t have permanent resident or citizenship status. If you lose your work permit, you are still qualified to work in Canada, because your status does not change. However, you will not be able to easily prove your status. For this reason, you will want to replace your work permit as soon as possible.

What Form Do I Need?

You can replace your work permit if it is damaged, lost, or stolen by filing an Application for a Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document and submitting the fee, which is currently $30. If you have lost your work permit because of a natural disaster, there may be an additional relief for you. For example, in October 2017 those who lost immigration documents due to the wildfires in British Columbia were able to apply to have their work permits replaced without needing to pay the application fee.

The Application for a Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document will require you to submit personal details, such as identifying details, contact information, and the date you entered Canada. You will need to indicate you are applying for a work permit replacement and you will need to submit any documentation requested.

If your work permit contains any errors, you must correct them. To do this, file Form IMM 1436. This is the form you will use only if errors were made. If your information changed after you arrived in Canada because you married or made other life changes, you will need to apply for a new work permit.

Get Your Work Permit Fast

Any errors you make in your application can delay your obtaining your new work permit. For this reason, make sure you review the instructions that came with the form. Verify all the details and review your application before sending it. If you find the application difficult, Immigration Direct has a guide to the Application for a Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document, including everything you need to fill out the form correctly.

Bill C-6 Will Mean New Changes to Canadian Citizenship

The adoption of Bill C-6 will mean changes to the Citizenship Act, which may affect the experience of new Canadians seeking citizenship. The new changes will go into effect October 11, 2017.

Among other changes, Bill C-6 may make it easier and faster for some Canadian citizen applicants to become Canadians by making some requirements more flexible. If you meet the new requirements for citizenship under these changes, however, you will need to wait until October 11, 2017, to apply for citizenship. On that date, new guides and application forms will become available for those seeking to become Canadian citizens.

The changes which will go into effect on October 11 include:

  • Citizenship applicants can use the time before they became permanent residents towards their residency requirements. Previously, this was not possible. Under the new rules, every day a person spends in Canada as a protected person or temporary resident before they become a permanent resident can be calculated as a half-day when counting towards residency requirements. These days must occur in the five years before a person applies for citizenship and a credit of no more than 365 days can be acquired in this way.
  • Citizenship applicants must live and be physically in Canada for three out of five years before they submit an application for citizenship. Previously, physical residency requirements required applicants to live in Canada for four of the previous six years before applying.
  • Citizenship applicants are required to file Canadian income taxes for three of the five years before applying for citizenship. Previously, they must have filed in four of the previous six years. As before, applicants only need to file if they are mandated to do so according to the Income Tax Act.
  • A loosening of residency rules. Previously, citizenship applicants needed to be physically in Canada for 183 days for four of the six years they lived in Canada before their application. You no longer need to meet this requirement.
  • Citizenship applicants who are 18 to 54 years of age must comply with the knowledge and language requirements for Canadian citizenship, as established by the citizenship interview. Previously, applicants between 14 and 64 had to meet these requirements.

Additional changes to the Citizenship will also be coming in early 2018. Some of these expected changes include giving citizenship officers new authority to seize documents they suspect are fraudulent. In early 2018, the Federal Court will also become the final decision maker in cases where citizenship is revoked.  

Stay tuned to Immigration Direct to get new guides for the new citizenship applications and to stay up-to-date about legislative changes which could impact your citizenship goals.