| Simplifying Immigration | is not affiliated with the Canadian Government or any Government Agency.


Welcome back. Go to your forms.

How to Replace a Lost Record of Landing

How to Replace a Lost Record of LandingA Record of Landing, also known as Form IMM 1000, is issued to you if you take up permanent residence in Canada. It is an important form and will be required of you if you ever want to apply for a PR card or for naturalization. It may also be required to apply for a pension and for other benefits.

Since without this form you will have a hard time proving permanent residency, you will want to replace it right away. You can do this by filing an Application for a Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document (IMM 5009) and submitting it with the required application fee and requested documents.

In some cases, you may need your record of landing sooner. For example, if you are applying for a pension, waiting months for processing can mean you do not get your pension for some time. If you need your replacement record of landing sooner, apply for urgent processing.

What if My Record of Landing is Has Errors on It?

Your record of landing is meant to be accurate at the time you arrive in Canada. If after you arrive in Canada your personal information changes, you will not need to make updates to your record of landing. However, if your record of landing contains errors and does not reflect your name, status or other information at your time of entry, you will need to amend your document. You can do this by completing and filing a Request to Amend Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Valid Temporary Resident Documents (IMM 5218).

You can only use IMM 5218 to correct errors made by immigration officials. You can apply for urgent processing if you cannot obtain benefits or if you risk losing employment due to mistakes made on your documents.

As part of IMM 5218, you may need to submit supporting documents. If some of the requested documents are in a language other than English or French, you will need to have them translated. This translation cannot be completed by you or a family member but instead, must be completed by a certified Canadian translator or a translator who submits an affidavit attesting to the accuracy of the translation.

If you have questions about replacing or correcting a record of landing or are having challenges with the process, Immigration Direct has a guide to help you replace your documents as well as resources to help you correct your record of landing. Our page contains FAQs and other helpful resources, so feel free to visit our site today.

Related Articles:

Frequently Asked Questions

Lost Landed Immigration Papers

Updated on 30th May 2018.

Goto Top