| Simplifying Immigration | is not affiliated with the Canadian Government or any Government Agency.


Welcome back. Go to your forms.

How to Replace a Lost Student Permit

How to Replace a Lost Student PermitTo study in Canada, you may need a student permit. You must obtain this permit before arriving in Canada. In addition to the permit, you may need an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or temporary resident visa to enter and remain in the country as you study.

I Lost My Student Permit, What Do I Do?

To prove your status and eligibility to study in Canada, it is important you have your student permit. Your school may require the permit when you sign up for new classes or when you register for a new semester.

If your student permit is lost, stolen or damaged your status as a student in Canada will not expire, but you will still want to replace the document at once so you can prove your status in the country easily. You can apply for a replacement student permit by filing an Application for a Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document (Form IMM 5009).

To file this form, download the instructions (Form IMM 5545) and be sure to follow them carefully. The Application for a Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document is four pages long and asks for identifying information, details about the documents you are requesting, and information about your immigration status. To complete the form, you will need to attach the requested documents and pay a fee. You can request urgent processing if you need a copy of your student permit at once.

My Schooling Has Changed—Do I Need to Change My Student Permit?

Education is a journey and while you are studying in Canada, your situation may change. You may want to change the conditions of your student permit so you can work and study in Canada or you may want to extend your stay. You may even switch programs or schools.

Virtually any changes to your education will require modifications to your student permit, whether you are studying in a new place or want to study something different or want to take part in a different program or degree. In these situations, you will need to complete and file an Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Student (Form IMM 5709). You may also need to file other forms to report changes in your status if you get married or enter a common-law relationship.

Getting Your Student Permit Replacement

Be sure to check over the completed form before you mail it and ensure you are using the latest form. Any errors made on your application can delay receipt of your student permit replacement.

If you find the forms confusing and need help, Immigration Direct as a guide to assist you. The website also has information about correcting your student permit if there are errors on it.

Goto Top