| Simplifying Immigration | is not affiliated with the Canadian Government or any Government Agency.


Welcome back. Go to your forms.

What You Should Know After Entering Canada as a Permanent Resident ?

Canada Permanent ResidentOn entering Canada as a permanent resident, you must be aware of certain things and you must get your identification documents and other papers. You must carry documents that indicate your home country as it is important to prove who you are and where you are from. You must keep such documents safe as you may not get those documents replaced so easily. Make sure that you retain copies of your birth certificate, health records, permanent resident card and Confirmation of Permanent Residence form (IMM 5292), along with the original documents. If you choose to reside in the Canadian province, Quebec, you must possess a Certificat de sélection du Québec.

Without the required documents you may not be able to apply for federal benefits and other government services. You must provide these documents to obtain a Social Insurance Number card and a health insurance card. You must not allow anyone else to use your identification documents and if you do so, you will lose your benefits. Keep the all your documents in a safe place. You are not required to carry with you all the original documents; it is enough if you carry with you copies of the identification documents or any one identification document. You may choose to carry with you a copy of your permanent resident card, your credit card or your driver’s license.

The next thing that you must do after entering Canada is apply for a Social Insurance Number. A Social Insurance Number (SIN) will be required to get employment opportunities in Canada. You must have a SIN card to open a bank account in Canada and to obtain your tax credit. The Canadian government uses the Social  Insurance Number to identify the number of people who pay taxes and who use government services.

You may apply for Canada Child Tax Benefit, if you have children below age 18. You may receive aid from the government of Canada to raise your children, through this. Canada Child Tax Benefit could be a non-taxable monthly payment. This benefit will be granted based on factors such as your family income and the number of children you have. This benefit is also based on the place where you reside in Canada. You may apply for this benefit providing a proof of your immigration status in Canada and birth certificate of your child that was born outside Canada. You must also file your income tax returns every year to obtain this benefit. A separate form to declare your income must be completed, if you have not resided in Canada for a long time. As you become a permanent resident of Canada make sure that you have all the required documents, including your permanent resident card and other documents to prove your legal status and to receive all the benefits.

Goto Top