| Simplifying Immigration | is not affiliated with the Canadian Government or any Government Agency.


Welcome back. Go to your forms.

Renew Your PR Card: Required Documents

After five years your Permanent Resident Card will expire and you should try to renew it as soon as possible. Renewing your Permanent Resident Card is easy with Immigration Direct and can ensure that you have all of the required documentation. Below is a list of documents you will need for the renewal process:

In addition to Form IMM 5444 (Document Checklist) you will also need to submit these forms in your application:

  • An identification document that has an identification number, an expiry date and your name, portrait and your birthday. This could be a 1) current and valid passport, 2) other official travel document, 3) a certificate of identity from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or another country.
  • Two supporting identification documents which could be 1) Form IMM 1000, Record of Landing, 2) Form IMM 5292 or 5688, Confirmation of Permanent Residence, 3) A valid provincial driver’s license, 4) a valid provincial identification card, 5) a student identification card from a university or college that has a photo of you, 6) or your Income Tax documents from the Canada Revenue Agency.
  • You will also need to show that you meet the residency requirements for Permanent Residency. Permanent Residents must reside within Canada for three out of five years in order to keep their status. You can prove that you meet this requirement by including photocopies of the pages of all of the pages of all of the passports that you have held in the past five years. You must also submit one of these documents as well 1) an Income Tax document from the past five years, 2) a transcript that shows that you attended a post-secondary school recently within Canada (university or college transcripts are satisfactory for this requirement, 3) attendance records for children under 18 are required to renew a PR Card. If you happened to immigrate to Canada after the age of 18 you do not need elementary or secondary school attendance records.

You should not mail in your expired Permanent Resident Card, but retain it in case you are called in for an interview. After you receive your new Permanent Resident Card you must destroy the expired one immediately.

All of these documents must be translated if they are not in either English or French. This even includes the stamps on your passport pages. All translations must be included with the certified copy of the document and a translator’s statement which confirms that the translation is correct and accurate. Find a useful guide to proper creation of certified copies on Immigration Direct’s blog.

After you have collected all of the necessary documents to renew your Permanent Resident Card you can proceed to the next step in the process: filling out the application.

This article is a part of a series on how to renew you Permanent Resident Card. Be sure to check back to Immigration Direct for additional updates and further articles about how to apply for PR Cards.

Goto Top