| Simplifying Immigration | is not affiliated with the Canadian Government or any Government Agency.


Welcome back. Go to your forms.

Parent and Grandparent Super Visa

Parents and grandparents are important family members, but in cases where children and grandchildren move to Canada, it can be hard for family members to maintain contact. The parent and grandparent super visa is designed to ensure children get to spend quality time with their parents and grandparents. Under the visa, qualifying parents and grandparents can more easily travel to Canada for periods of up to two years at a time.

Is the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa a Multi-Entry Visa?

Yes. If you secure this visa, you will be able to enter and leave Canada multiple times for up to ten years. With the parent and grandparent super visa, you will not be able to bring dependants over to Canada on the visa.

Who is Eligible for a Parent and Grandparent Super Visa?

In order to qualify for this visa, you must be the grandparent or parent of someone who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. In addition, you meet the following qualifications:

  • You must be eligible to enter Canada
  • You must be a real visitor to Canada who will return voluntarily to your home country at the end of your visit
  • You must show your child or grandchild meets specific income requirements and can support you while you are in Canada
  • You agree to a medical exam
  • You have valid and adequate medical insurance in Canada for at least one year
  • You have a written document from your child or grandchild, affirming they will support you financially while you are in Canada
  • You must be applying for the visa for yourself and not for dependants

During the application process, immigration officers will work to determine that you do not intend to stay in Canada. They will examine things such as your family dynamic, financial situation, links to your home country, and other factors.

How Does the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa Differ from a Visitor Visa?

The parent and grandparent super visa is a more flexible visa than most visitor visas, allowing for longer stays in Canada. Most individuals who come to Canada on a visitor visa can stay for up to six months. Thereafter, they must pay a fee and apply for an extension of that visa. The parent and grandparent super visa, on the other hand, allows for visits for up to two years at a time for a period of up to ten years without the need for additional applications and fees.

How to Apply

If you want to apply, first determine whether you are eligible. If you are, check to see whether you belong to one of the countries requiring biometrics to apply for a visa. If so, you will need to make arrangements for biometrics. Then, download the application form or fill out your form online. In addition to the forms, you will need to provide:

  • A letter from your grandchild or child in Canada. This letter must include information about how many people are living in your child or grandchild’s household and the plans for your care during your stay.
  • Evidence that you are the grandparent or parent of the Canadian citizen or permanent resident you are visiting. Acceptable forms of proof can include a baptismal certificate, birth certificate, or some other forms of official documentation.
  • Evidence that you have at least one year of private medical coverage from an insurance company in Canada. This insurance must cover you for every entry into Canada and must provide coverage for hospital costs, returns to your home country, and health care.
  • Evidence that your grandchild or child is above the low income cut-off (LICO).

As part of your application, you will need to pay your application fee. You will also have to wait for your application to be processed and will need to go attend an interview with an immigration officer. An officer will send you information about your medical exam, including its location and date. You must submit to this exam to be eligible for the visa.

Do You Want to Apply for a Parent and Grandparent Super Visa?

Immigration Direct has resources to help you find and apply for the right permit or visa. Be sure to also check out our free blog for more useful information and tips, as well as news about immigration changes.

Goto Top