| Simplifying Immigration | is not affiliated with the Canadian Government or any Government Agency.


Welcome back. Go to your forms.

How to Study in Canada?

Coming to Canada to study is an excellent way to eventually get your Permanent Resident Card through the Canadian Experience Class visa. The Canadian government even intends to increase the total number of CEC visas within the next year, and the best way to get this type of Permanent Residency is through going to school in Canada.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada has very specific outlines for what must be submitted in order to apply for a study permit and student visa. If there are documents missing or incorrectly filed, they may be returned to you. The CIC has compiled a useful checklist to ensure that your application is complete upon its submittal. For a study permit, your application must include:
• IMM 1294—This immigration form is called the “Application for a Study Permit Made Outside Canada”. The application may be completed online, but the bar-code related to the document must be included on all other documents within the application.

• IMM 5645—This application, titled “Family Information”, is to include all of your relatives (mother, father, brothers, sisters, spouse, children) and whether or not they will be accompanying you.

• IMM 5257—Entitled “Schedule 1 Application for Temporary Resident Visa”, this will be necessary if you are from a country that requires this. Check with a visa office to see if you need a Temporary Resident Visa.

• IMM 5409—The “Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union” is only necessary if the spouse on your Family Information application was not officially wed to you, rather the law simply recognizes your marriage.

• IMM 5646—“Custodianship Declaration – Custodian for Minors Studying in Canada”.

• IMM 5476—“Use of a Representative” this form is necessary if you are having a lawyer or other representative file your application for you.

• A letter of acceptance from the school that you will be attending.

• Evidence that shows that you have the funds to support yourself (or if someone else is supporting you) during school is also necessary.

• If you will be studying in Quebec you will need to obtain MICC’s approval and submit its application letter as well.

• A fee of $125 comes with every person on the application.

• If you need to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa you will need to include your original and valid passport. Make sure that you have a couple of extra blank pages in this passport.

• If you do not need a Temporary Resident Visa you can just include a photocopy of the information page of your passport. The Photocopy must include the passport number, the date it was issued, the expiration date, your photo, your name, and your birthday and birthplace.

• You will also need to include two photos. CIC is very insistent upon meeting the very strict requirements regarding the photographs and we will have an article later in the week that deals with that.

• Individual, provincial visa offices will have their own requirements and you should check with those offices before submitting your application.

Depending upon how many people you will be claiming on your trip to Canada to study your application might be longer or shorter. But regardless of the length, you should be sure to double check your application both with Immigration Direct as well as with Citizenship and Immigration Canada and the provincial governments.

4 thoughts on “How to Study in Canada?”

  1. Yemane tesfay

    Hi it is me yemane tesfey from Eritrea,but by now am here in Ethiopia as a Refugee.I am eager to continue my study for masters degree for mechanical engineering in Canada,this is the most i like for the next of my goals.So i need your cooperation&information what am going to do,to come across my vision.I am waiting your reply.God bless u.


    Hi I’m GADISA WAKGARI from Ethiopia and I want to know the way I can study in canada?

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Goto Top