Study permits in Canada allow the holder to go to school and learn in one of the country’s great schools. An important thing to note is that if one wants to get a permanent resident card they must apply for it outside of Canada. Even though not everyone has to have a study permit when they enter the country to study, if they intend to study for more than 6 months they will need to apply for one. To prevent interruption of your stay in Canada you should apply before you leave.
Requirements and Conditions of a Study Permit:
- You will need a letter of acceptance from the Canadian school.
- You will need to show that you will return home at the end of your studies.
- You will need to show that you can afford to go to school in Canada.
- Criminals will not be accepted for a study permit.
- Decent health is a requirement to go to school in Canada.
- The course of study you undertake, the school you go to, and the time and place of appointments is all to be dictated by the visa.
- You are not allowed to get a job without a permit
- Your stay is for a predetermined amount of time.
- You will need to provide proof of identity. This could be fulfilled by either a passport or a travel document. You will also need two passport style photos (be sure they meet Canadian study visa standards).
- Proof of your acceptance into a Canadian University. This will have to include the name of the school, an affirmative answer, and the amount of time it will take to finish the course of study.
- Proof of financial support. When you go to school in Canada you will have to prove that you have sufficient funds to cover all of your expenses while in school. You can do so in multiple ways. Bank statements are very useful for this part of the process.
Study Permit Application
After you have determined that you can get a study permit you can complete the application. Below are the documents that must be completed:
- IMM 1294, Application for Study Permit Made Outside of Canada.
- IMM 5645, Family Information.
- IMM 5483, Document Checklist.
And if needed:
- IMM 5257 Schedule 1, Schedule 1 — Application for temporary Resident Visa.
- IMM 5409, Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union.
- IMM 5646, Custodianship Declaration — Custodian for Minors Studying in Canada.
- IMM 5476, Use of a Representative.
Study Permit Fees
Most immigration forms in Canada come with a certain filing fee to process the application. For Study Permits, applicants are required to pay $125 in a fee.