Canadian citizens are the only people allowed to carry Canadian passports and they are advised to have their passports with them at all times when travelling abroad.
The Application Package
To have a complete application package one must collect these items:
- A completed passport application (PPTC 054 for passport renewals, PPTC 153 for first time applications for adults and PPTC 155, the children’s passport application).
- Proof of citizenship. A Permanent Resident Card or birth certificate from within Canada will suffice for this requirement.
- Proof of identity. This could be a birth certificate, government issued ID, passport, or other identification document.
- Passport photos. These photos are subject to strict regulation and must meet exact specifications.
- A guarantor. Guarantors are people who will certify that you are who you say you are when applying for a passport.
Processing Times and Fees
Processing times are estimates for how long it will take for the CIC to assess and grant a certain service.
In person applications for a passport take about ten business days, or two weeks. Applications submitted through the mail or in person at a Service Canada center take about 20 business days, or four weeks.
The fees for Canadian passports are as follows:
- Five year passports are $120
- Ten year passports are $160
- Children’s passports are $57
All amounts are in Canadian dollars and can be paid by credit card, debit card, certified check, money order or prepaid card.
Submitting an Application
Applications can be submitted in person at a passport Canada office or at a Service Canada center.
Applications can also be submitted through the mail to
Passport Canada Program
Gatineau QC K1A 0G3