| Simplifying Immigration | is not affiliated with the Canadian Government or any Government Agency.


Welcome back. Go to your forms.

Permanent Resident Card Misplaced

The Permanent Resident Card is the document issued to Permanent Residents of Canada as proof of their immigration status. If this card is misplaced or lost it is a very good idea to have it replaced.

Hopefully no one will try to use this document to steal the identity of the legal card holder, but there is always that risk. By notifying the CIC immediately and applying for a new card, one can ensure that the damage to be caused will be minimal.

Canadian PR Cardholder
“Where did I leave my PR Card?”

Generally, immigrants can leave their Permanent Resident Cards at home where they can be safe. Occasions where the card is necessary is when one is applying for government benefits or trying to re-enter Canada after a trip abroad. However, it is understandable that the PR Card can become lost.

In order to apply for a replacement Permanent Resident Card one needs to file IMM 5444.

The application process is as follows:

  1. Gather all necessary supporting documentation to be included in the application.
  2. Fill out all the required fields of the application.
  3. Pay the processing fees. Total fees for applying for a replacement PR Card is $50 in Canadian dollars.
  4. Mail the application to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Ontario.
  5. The CIC will then see if your application is correctly filled out.
  6. If the application is complete and accurate, the CIC will send your new PR Card to your current address.

It is very important to make sure that they have your updated address at all times during the process so that they can contact you and eventually send your PR Card.

Goto Top