| Simplifying Immigration | is not affiliated with the Canadian Government or any Government Agency.


Welcome back. Go to your forms.

How Can I Come to Canada if I Have No Family in Canada?

Family immigration is one way to come to Canada. If a close family member is a permanent resident or citizen of Canada, they may be able to sponsor you to immigrate. However, even if you do not know anyone in Canada, you can still immigrate through a few specific programs:

1) Express Entry

Express Entry allows you to apply for permanent residency through the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Federal Skilled Trades Program, or Canadian Experience Class. You create a profile and get points for work experience, education, job offers, language skills and other factors. If you earn enough points and qualify to come to Canada, you will be invited to apply for permanent residency.

2) Quebec-Selected Skilled Worker

If you have work experience, education, and in-demand skills, you may be able to immigrate to Quebec under this program. You will first need to apply for and obtain the Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) from the Quebec government. Then, you will apply to the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada) for permanent residency.

3) Start-up Visa Program

If you are an entrepreneur who has an idea for a business and can get support for that idea from designated organizations, you can apply for permanent residency in Canada. In order to come to Canada to create your business, you must also show you have enough money to settle in the country and start your business.

4) Self-Employed Person Immigration

If you are self-employed and have relevant experience, including world-class levels of experience in athletics or cultural activities, you may qualify for immigration to Canada.

5) Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)

Each province (other than Quebec) has its own PNP program to attract skilled workers. If you have work experience, education, and skills, you can apply to a specific province’s program if you plan to live and work in that province.

6) Atlantic Immigration Pilot

If you would like to live in Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland, and Labrador, New Brunswick, or Nova Scotia and can find a designated employer willing to give you a job offer, you can apply to immigrate to these provinces. You will generally need some education and experience in order to get a job offer and you will need to find an employer yourself before starting the application process.

7) Caregivers

If you have at least two years of experience in Canada working as a caregiver, you may be able to apply for immigration status in the country.

If you do not have family in Canada, you may need to have skills or work experience to come to Canada, since many immigration programs in the country focus on workers. You must also have language skills, meet legibility requirements to enter the country and have the money to apply and to stay in Canada. If you do not have work experience or the education to immigrate, you may be able to apply to become a student in Canada.

Interested in Coming to Canada?

If you are interested in immigrating to Canada and do not have family already in the country, there are still ways for you to become a Canadian. If you would like help, Immigration Direct has resources to help you apply for Express Entry and other programs. We also have a free blog and other resources to help you understand the immigration process.

Goto Top