| Simplifying Immigration | is not affiliated with the Canadian Government or any Government Agency.


Welcome back. Go to your forms.

Study and Live in Canada

Studying in Canada offers many benefits, including a world-class education, safe campuses, a diverse and welcoming community, and more. Canadian education can qualify you for a wide variety of careers all over the world and in some cases students who get an education in Canada can apply to become permanent residents of the country without having to return to their home nation.

Applying to Attend a School in Canada

If you are an international student, you will need to apply to a Canadian school to study in Canada. This is often the first step. Apply six months before attending if you are attending a primary or secondary school and apply one year before attending a college or university. You must get acceptance from a qualified school in order to secure the study permit you need to study in Canada and you must apply for a permit before you arrive in Canada to attend school so you will start this process in your home country.

Speak to the school where you wish to attend. The school can give you information about school costs, enrollment requirements, application processes, health insurance, required language tests, and anything else you may need to attend. You will especially wish to ask about the total cost of education. Keep in mind that you will need to cover not just tuition costs, but also the cost of living, food, health insurance, incidentals, transportation, books, and possibly other expenses. Your school may be able to give you a sense of how much money you need to have to get your degree or attend a program.

Applying for a Study Permit

Almost all foreign national students in Canada need a study permit to study in Canada unless a course lasts less than six months or unless the student is the child of a member of a foreign armed force in Canada or the child of a foreign representative or otherwise falls into an exempt class.

When applying to a school, it is important to apply to a designated learning institution. Each province names its own designated learning institutions (DLI), including all elementary and secondary schools and some colleges, universities and other institutions of learning. It is important that you apply to study at a DLI and not an unrecognized school because you can only get a study permit if you apply to a DLI.

Once you get your acceptance at a qualifying school, you can apply for a permit. Your study permit lets you study in Canada for your full school term or degree term, plus 90 days. There may be restrictions on your permit, such as limits on your ability to travel within Canada. Some permits allow you to study and work in Canada while others specifically do not allow you to work while studying. To maintain your permit, you must stay enrolled at your DLI and be working towards finishing your program. You must also ensure you continue to respect the limits and the requirements of your permit.

Do You Need a Study Permit?

If you need a study permit in Canada, Immigration Direct has some resources to help you. Be sure to check out the free blog and our step-by-step guide to applying for a permit. It contains everything you need in clear and accurate language.

Goto Top