In the past, the term “landed immigrant” was used to describe a legal resident of Canada who could work and live in the country but who did not have Canadian citizenship. Today, this term is no longer used. Instead, what many people consider a “landed immigrant” describes permanent resident status.
Are You Eligible?
Permanent resident status in Canada allows you to live in Canada, travel to and from the country, hold jobs, study, move and get health care, among other privileges. To apply for permanent resident status, you must first establish you are eligible.
You are eligible to become a permanent resident of Canada if:
- You have at least 12 months of full-time skilled work experience in Canada and meet all the NOC (National Occupational Classification) and language proficiency required to apply for permanent residency under the Canadian Experience Class
- Have family who can sponsor you in Canada
- You have a specific job offer in Canada which allows you to apply to live and work in Canada
- You have no criminal record
- You meet the other requirements established by the eligibility criteria
- You meet the requirements for permanent residency based on humanitarian and compassionate grounds
Applying to Live in Canada
To apply for permanent resident status in Canada, you must fill out the appropriate application, based on how you are applying for permanent residency. For example, you may:
- Use Form IMM 1344 to sponsor a relative to immigrate to Canada
- Use Form IMM 0008 to apply for permanent residency through sponsorship
- Use the Government of Canada online form and profile to apply through job offers or through your work experience
It is important to use the right forms and to submit all relevant information as well as fees. Immigration forms also change, as do requirements. If you need support filling out the forms or selecting the right forms, ImmigrationDirect has many online resources to help you immigrate to Canada. Our information is always being refreshed, so you get the latest information and the latest versions of forms as well as help completing the forms fully and correctly.