| Simplifying Immigration | is not affiliated with the Canadian Government or any Government Agency.


Welcome back. Go to your forms.

Canada Drops Visa Requirement for Mexico

CA drops visa requirement for MXCanada has lifted its visa requirement for Mexican resident in an effort to re-establish relationship with Mexico. The move is made in an effort to strengthen ties between the countries. The lift on the requirement will increase business between the two countries as well as tourism. Mexican residents will now apply for an electronic travel authorization (eTA) before flying out to Canada.

The eTA is available for Mexican residents as of November 25, 2016. The cost to obtain an eTA is $7 CAD. The eTA is valid for 5 years or until the migrant’s passport expires. Applicants may receive an answer of approval or denial within minutes. According to the IRCC all visa-exempt foreign nationals — except United States (U.S.) citizens — need an eTA to fly to or transit through Canada.

“Canada values strong ties with Mexico, and we are pleased to be able to extend visa-free travel to Mexican citizens. Improved bilateral relations stemming from the visa lift are expected to facilitate increased business opportunities, trade and investment—a growth opportunity for Canadians and Mexicans alike.” said John McCallum, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship in a news release on December 1st.

Mexican travelers are still required to present themselves to a border services officer before entering the country. Most visitors are allowed a six-month stay from the day they enter Canada. Officials from both countries will stay in contact to make sure the process moves forward smoothly and there is control on excessive migration.

“Canada and Mexico have a rich and diverse relationship. I am confident that the lifting of the visa requirement will facilitate people-to-people ties, opportunities for youth mobility, education and prosperity and that it will enhance engagement between our two countries,” Stéphane Dion, Minister of Foreign Affairs.

Goto Top