| Simplifying Immigration | is not affiliated with the Canadian Government or any Government Agency.


Welcome back. Go to your forms.

What is form IMM 5708?

If you want to apply to extend your temporary visa in Canada you will have to file IMM 5708, Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada.

This is, of course, not the initial application for temporary residence in Canada. That form is separate and should be filed in your home country. This form has a very specific purpose.

You can also use this form to change the type of visa that you hold, for example, from a student visa to a work visa.

There are many different types of temporary visas (student visas, work visas, tourism visas, business visas, temporary family visas) and they can all be extended using this form.

Remember that all applications must be made at least 30 days prior to the expiry of your current visa. If your visa expires while you wait for a decision from the CIC you will not accrue illegal status. However, if your application is rejected you will have to leave Canada immediately in order to avoid future legal restrictions.

Extension Fees

The fees associated with the extension of a visa are conveniently payable online. You can also pay at a Canadian financial institution as well, however, that is much more complex.

The total fees for extension of temporary status are $75 Canadian.

Where to Mail the Forms

Applications for visa extensions should be sent to the Case Processing Center in Vegreville at:

Case Processing Center-Vegreville

6212-55th Avenue,

Vegrevile, Alberta, T9C 1W5

Goto Top