| Simplifying Immigration | is not affiliated with the Canadian Government or any Government Agency.


Welcome back. Go to your forms.

PR Card Renewal Urgent

Canada’s PR Card is the document issued to Permanent Residents living in Canada as their proof of status when travelling abroad.

When Permanent Residents are preparing to travel abroad they should make sure that they have a valid passport from their home countries as well as a current PR Card.

There are some instances where you may have to travel in a hurry. If your PR Card is about to expire you will have to have it renewed. However, if there isn’t enough time you may have to ask for urgent processing from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

The CIC suggests two different processes depending on which stage you have reached.

Canadian Permanent Resident Cards

If you haven’t sent your application yet:

This process is very similar to just simply renewing your PR Card and includes:

  • Completing the renewal application.
  • Including pertinent application documents like proof of travel and the proof of payment for your travel abroad. (Often, travel tickets complete this step perfectly.
  • Be sure to include contact information like an email address so CIC can contact you.
  • When the Package is complete, write “Urgent—Proof of Travel Included” on the front of the envelope before you submit the package.
  • Keep in mind that this process is only to be used if you are still in Canada.

If you have already sent in your application:

Be sure to check the status of your application on the CIC’s website to see how close your application is to being accepted. If it has already been accepted you will need to email the CIC in order to request urgent processing.

Outside of Canada

If you need documentation to return to Canada, but are currently abroad you will need to apply for a travel document at a Canadian consulate.

Goto Top