What is the Federal Skilled Trades Program?
The Federal Skilled Trades Program allows workers in certain trades to get permanent residency in Canada.
Trades that can be used for this program include the following categories:
- Industrial trades
- Electrical trades
- Constructions trades
- Maintenance trades
- Equipment operation trades
- Technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and other fields
- Processing trades
- Manufacturing trades
- Chefs and cooks
- Butchers and bakers
What are the requirements for Federal Skilled Trades Program?
One of the main requirements for this program is having the skills and work experience in one of the preferred trades as mentioned above.
Applicants are also expected to
- Not live in Quebec, which has its own immigration system separate from the rest of Canada
- Be fluent in English or French
- Have two or more years of full-time work experience
- Meet the job requirements for your specific trade as outlined in the National Occupation Classification (NOC)
- Have an offer of employment. This job offer needs to be guaranteed for at least one year to meet the requirement.
How do I get started?
The first step to immigrating to Canada through a job is to enter into the Express Entry pool.
The Express Entry system is the first step to getting a job and permanent residence in Canada.