|Simplifying Immigration| is not affiliated with the Canadian Government or any Government Agency.

Application to Change Conditions or Extend your Stay in Canada as a Worker

Application to Change Conditions or Extend your Stay in Canada as a Worker

Download Form IMM 5710, Application to Change Conditions, Extend your Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker and continue working in Canada for up to four years.

What is Form IMM 5710?

Temporary residents of Canada who have work permits, but wish to extend the validity of their work permit may file an Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker, commonly referred to as Form IMM 5710.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada recommends that the application for a work permit extension should be made at least 90 days before the expiration of your current work permit. Work permits may be renewed up to four total years of work in Canada.

Who should apply with Form IMM 5710?

Temporary residents of Canada who already have work permits and have not yet worked for four full years in Canada can apply for a work permit.

People who may be eligible for work permits include temporary residents who

  • Hold work visas
  • Hold student visas
  • Have graduated from a Canadian educational facility
  • Are refugees
  • Are live-in caregivers
  • Are the spouses or dependents of a permit holder
  • Are NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) beneficiaries

What are the requirements for filing IMM 5710?

In order to receive an extension of your work authorization in Canada, you will need to meet certain requirements and submit supporting documentation with your application. Applicants will need to

  • Show an officer that they will leave Canada when their employment is complete
  • Show that they can take care of themselves financially while in Canada
  • Show that you do not have a criminal record (this is achieved with police clearance certificates if necessary)
  • Undergo a medical examination (if required)
  • Show that they will not work for an ineligible employer
  • Show that they have not worked in Canada for four years since April 1, 2011.

Documents that may be required for a work permit extension include:

  • An Offer of Employment to a Foreign National Exempt from a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
  • A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
  • Evidence that you are eligible for the job you wish to work
  • Employment contract

Forms you may also have to file

Goto Top


Immigration Direct helps you complete your immigration application affordably, and conveniently through an easy-to-use immigration software solution. We are not affiliated with Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or any government entity. We do not file your immigration application for you. Instead, we give you all the materials you need to confidently build your own immigration application, and file with IRCC at your own direction.

To deliver to you the best experience possible, our site uses cookies. By continuing to use our website without changing your settings, you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and our use of cookies. You can find out more about our privacy policy here.Got it