Apply for a Work Permit in Canada with Form IMM 1295

Permanent Resident Card Application
Apply for a temporary Work Permit in Canada using Form IMM 1295, Application to Work in Canada.

About Work Permit Form IMM 1295

Form IMM 1295 is used by individuals who are currently not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who wish to work temporarily in Canada. In addition, some countries may require individuals to obtain a temporary resident visa. For more information and the list of countries that require visa, visit

Who Should Apply for Work Permit

Form IMM 1295 is for individuals who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who wish to work temporarily in Canada. A work permit is issued if the application is approved.

It is important to note, the processing time of an application may vary from one visa office to another. For more information, visit

Work Permit Requirements

In order to qualify for a work permit, individuals must show the officer that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations and that you will be in Canada for a temporary stay.

You must also:
  • Prove to the immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your employment.
  • Show proof that you have enough money during your stay in Canada to take care of yourself and your family members and plan to return home.
  • Be upstanding, law-abiding and have no record of criminal activity (it may be required of you to provide a Police Clearance Certificate).
  • Not be a danger to the security of Canada.
  • Be in acceptable health and complete a medical examination maybe required.
  • Not intend to involve in employment with an employer on the list of Ineligible Employers.
  • Not have worked in Canada for one or more periods totaling four years after April 1, 2011 (with certain exceptions).
  • Be able to provide additional documents that may be requested by the officer to establish your admissibility.

Additional forms you may need

For more information on list of Ineligible Employers, visit

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice but general information on issues commonly encountered when dealing with immigration matters. Immigration Direct is not affiliated with the Canadian government or any government agency. Immigration Direct is not a law firm, and is not a substitute for a lawyer or law firm. Immigration Direct does not provide legal advice, opinions or recommendations to its users about their possible legal rights, legal remedies, legal defenses, legal options or legal strategies, selection of forms, or answers to specific questions on forms. Immigration Direct only provides self-help services at a user's direction. Communications between you and Immigration Direct are not protected by any privilege. Visitors to this site should seek appropriate legal or other professional advice and should not rely on information contained on this site without seeking such advice. Purchase price does not include application or filing fees that may be charged by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC, formerly known as CIC), or by any other agency. All forms that can be completed online through Immigration Direct are available as blank forms with written instructions for free from the IRCC. Please note that your access to and use of this site is subject to Immigration Direct’s Terms of Use, which, by using this site, you are agreeing to.

The "Immigration Direct" mark and the "Simplifying Immigration" mark are registered trade-marks in Canada.

Copyright © 2011-2017 Immigration Direct. All Rights Reserved.