What is Form IMM 5709?
Form IMM 5709, Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student, is used by temporary visitors in Canada to extend a study permit or request an initial study permit in some cases.
In order to use this form, applicants must already be in Canada with a valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).
This form can also be used to file for reinstatement of a lapsed study visa.
Who should apply with Form IMM 5709?
Applicants with this form will need to be currently within Canada. The following persons can apply for a study permit or study permit extension with this form:
- Visitors with current work visas and their family members in Canada
- Visitors with current study visas and their family members in Canada
- Preschool, primary, secondary and exchange students
- Permanent resident applicants waiting for approval of their PR Cards
- Among many other classifications
What are the requirements for filing IMM 5709?
In order to get a study permit extension, you will need collect documentation to submit with your IMM 5709 application, such as:
- A letter or confirmation that you have been accepted at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
- Proof of your temporary resident status in Canada
- Proof that you have the financial means to take care of yourself while you stay in Canada. This can be fulfilled by explaining financial support arrangements with your school, parents or benefactor as well.