Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Student

Permanent Resident Card Application
Download form IMM 5709, Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student to extend your study permit or apply for your first study visa as a temporary resident.

What is Form IMM 5709?

Form IMM 5709, Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student, is used by temporary visitors in Canada to extend a study permit or request an initial study permit in some cases.

In order to use this form, applicants must already be in Canada with a valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

This form can also be used to file for reinstatement of a lapsed study visa.

Who should apply with Form IMM 5709?

Applicants with this form will need to be currently within Canada. The following persons can apply for a study permit or study permit extension with this form:

  • Visitors with current work visas and their family members in Canada
  • Visitors with current study visas and their family members in Canada
  • Preschool, primary, secondary and exchange students
  • Permanent resident applicants waiting for approval of their PR Cards
  • Among many other classifications

What are the requirements for filing IMM 5709?

In order to get a study permit extension, you will need collect documentation to submit with your IMM 5709 application, such as:

  • A letter or confirmation that you have been accepted at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
  • Proof of your temporary resident status in Canada
  • Proof that you have the financial means to take care of yourself while you stay in Canada. This can be fulfilled by explaining financial support arrangements with your school, parents or benefactor as well.

Forms you may also have to file

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice but general information on issues commonly encountered when dealing with immigration matters. Immigration Direct is not affiliated with the Canadian government or any government agency. Immigration Direct is not a law firm, and is not a substitute for a lawyer or law firm. Immigration Direct does not provide legal advice, opinions or recommendations to its users about their possible legal rights, legal remedies, legal defenses, legal options or legal strategies, selection of forms, or answers to specific questions on forms. Immigration Direct only provides self-help services at a user's direction. Communications between you and Immigration Direct are not protected by any privilege. Visitors to this site should seek appropriate legal or other professional advice and should not rely on information contained on this site without seeking such advice. Purchase price does not include application or filing fees that may be charged by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC, formerly known as CIC), or by any other agency. All forms that can be completed online through Immigration Direct are available as blank forms with written instructions for free from the IRCC. Please note that your access to and use of this site is subject to Immigration Direct’s Terms of Use, which, by using this site, you are agreeing to.

The "Immigration Direct" mark and the "Simplifying Immigration" mark are registered trade-marks in Canada.

Copyright © 2011-2017 Immigration Direct. All Rights Reserved.