|Simplifying Immigration| is not affiliated with the Canadian Government or any Government Agency.


Welcome back. Go to your forms.

Declare your common-law marriage for immigration

Declare your common-law marriage for immigration

If you have a common-law union, you may need to file this form to get immigration benefits for your partner.

What is Form IMM 5409?

The Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union, Form IMM 5409, is used by people who wish to claim their common-law partner in their immigration applications.

This form can be used with a variety of applications such as:

Who can use Form IMM 5409?

This form is to be used specifically for applicants who have common-law partners

What are the requirements?

In order to be able to use this form and declare a common-law partner, you will need to be common law partners for at least one year and supply supporting documents that show that you are in a committed relationship. Documents that you can use include:

  • Property agreements with both you and your common-law partner
  • Proof of joint bank accounts
  • Life insurance policies

Goto Top


This site uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By continuing to use our website without changing your settings, you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and use of cookies. More InfoGot It