Student Sponsors

Unlike the UK, which requires schools to become registered student sponsors before they can recruit international students, Canada places the onus of responsibility on the visa applicant.

The application process of course requires students to be accepted by a Canadian educational institution before being able to enter the country.

Students can choose to study in Canada for a semester or two or up to their full degree course with student visas. However, visitors taking short classes not for a larger degree might not need to apply for a student visa, instead they might only need to apply for a visitor visa.

Special Note on New Rules

By the end of 2013, some applicants from specific countries and regions must submit to mandatory biometric collection. This is part of a series of reforms that Citizenship and Immigration Canada has been implementing to prevent immigration fraud.

The countries that will have to submit to biometric collection are:

Afghanistan Haiti Palestinian Authority
Albania Iran Saudi Arabia
Algeria Iraq Somalia
Bangladesh Jamaica South Sudan
Burma (Myanmar) Jordan Sri Lanka
Cambodia Laos Sudan
Colombia Lebanon Syria
Democratic Republic of Congo Libya Tunisia
Egypt Nigeria Vietnam
Eritrea Pakistan Yemen

 Applying for Student Visa Student Visa

When applying to study in Canada you must first determine whether or not you are eligible to study. The CIC maintains a website that can help you find out your eligibility.

Basic requirements:

  • You must be able to support yourself somehow while in Canada (depending on how you apply you may not be able to get a job while studying, so you will have to have sufficient funds or loans to be self-supporting).
  • You must be accepted into a Canadian Educational institution.
  • You must be able to pay the nominal fee.
  • You must be able to provide the CIC with required documentation that proves your identity and origin. (passport, birth certificate and such).

Extend Study Visa

If you wish to continue to study in Canada after your study visa expires you will have to extend your visa. Visas are granted to non-immigrants in Canada for limited periods of time determined by the immigration officials who accept them into the country.

If your visa is about to expire and you wish to continue your studies you will need to apply for an extension at least 30 days before the expiration date.

Working Study

Student visas only concern themselves with allowing a particular person to study in Canada and if you wish to work as well you will need to file for a work permit.

There are a variety of ways to go about getting a work permit. You can work on- or off-campus or you can work in an internship or occupational training program.

Internships and occupational training programs are particularly useful in Canada because you can eventually apply for Permanent Residency through your educational experience.