NOC — Therapy and Assessment Professions

The National Occupation Classification (NOC) can be quite useful for immigrants applying for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP). By identifying your skills in the NOC you will be more prepared to make an argument for your immigration through the FSWP.

Unfortunately, the FSWP is only accepting a certain set of skilled workers classified by the National Occupation Classification. Below we will discuss three of these professions.

This is not to say that more professions won’t be available later on or in other years, but currently, Citizenship and Immigration Canada is only considering applicants in one of the 24 accepted professions.

Applying for the Federal Skilled Worker Program can be partially done online after applications are to be accepted on May 4, 2013.

3141 – Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists Health Worker

Audiologists belong to the larger health professions grouping the NOC and they are responsible for the diagnosis, evaluation and treatment of disorders that involve voice, speech, hearing and other auditory related disorders.

Audiologists work in a variety of environments from hospitals to rehabilitation centers or even in private practices.

Audiologists or speech-language pathologists have a few different educational and background requirements to work in this field in Canada:

  • They must have master’s degrees in their fields of study.
  • They must be registered in their profession in Canada.
  • Audiologists may need to have a license to sell hearing aids.

3142 – Physiotherapists

Physiotherapists are hired by hospitals or individuals to recover from injuries or illnesses that limit their abilities. The goal is to restore a person’s physical functionality or to prevent physical functionality from deteriorating. Physical therapy (as physiotherapy is also called) can also be used to treat chronic pain. Sports teams often have staff physiotherapists to care for their athletes.

Physiotherapists are expected to evaluate patients, plan and execute treatments and re-evaluate afterward to ensure that the physical goals set before treatment have been met.

Physical therapists must meet certain educational requirements such as:

  • A university level degree in physical therapy,
  • Certain amounts of supervised training,
  • A license to practice physiotherapy according to the region in which you will be immigrating to,
  • Physical therapists might be mandated to pass the Physiotherapy National Exam.

3143 – Occupational Therapists

Occupational therapists help people who have disabilities to care for themselves or to work or go to school. Some people have a difficult time engaging in these activities due to illnesses or injuries. They may also have psychological issues that make these daily activities difficult. It is important to note that these people are not necessarily disabled, rather they are impeded by one of these disorders and they can, with the assistance of an occupational therapist to be just as able as anyone else.

Most occupational therapists should have university degrees, but there are some instances where they only need a certification from the World Federation of Occupational Therapists. Regardless of province or education, occupational therapists must be licensed in the province in which they intend to immigrate as well as be a member of the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists, the governing body for this profession in Canada.

More Information

Immigrants looking for more information on what professions will be accepted in the Federal Skilled Worker Program can find more information with Citizenship and Immigration Canada. They can find more detailed information about the job descriptions of the National Occupation Classification at the NOC Website.