Many students dream about studying abroad. So after their school or their bachelor degree has been completed, they explore opportunities to study in a foreign country. Earlier the choice was limited to the United States mostly. But with several countries offering many courses and scholarships, the opportunity to study in different countries has opened up for students. Canada is one such country that has several good universities that provide good higher education.
If you want to study in Canada, you must first apply to a good recognized educational institution. Each college has different rules on how to apply. You should apply an year in advance before you want to start studies. Once you apply, the college will give you the right forms and let you know how to apply. They will also provide you with information regarding the cost of applying, tuition fees, health insurance, rent and about the language tests. If the college accepts you, they will send a letter of acceptance, which you may have to show to obtain a study permit. In most cases, you have to get a study permit to study in Canada.
Those eligible to study in Canada must:
- have been accepted by a school, college or university in Canada
- prove that they have enough money to spend on tuition fees, living expenses and transportation expenses
- be law-abiding persons with no criminal record and may have to provide a police certificate
- be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination if necessary
- satisfy an immigration officer that they will leave Canada at the end of their authorized stay.
However, there are exceptions. In some cases you do not need a study permit to go to school in Canada. They are:
- If you wish to study a short term course or take up a program that lasts six months or less, you should complete the course within the period authorized for your stay. But if you plan to continue your studies after this course, it would be a good idea to apply for a study permit before you enter Canada.
- If you are a family member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, you need not apply for a study permit. You should contact your embassy in Canada.
- If you are a member of the armed force under the Visiting Forces Act, you may not need a study permit.
There are ten steps to apply for a study permit:
- 1. You should first check the application processing times to get an idea of how long it is going to take to process your application.
- 2. The next thing would be to download and print the application package.
- 3. Depending on the citizenship you may need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) and a study permit.
- 4. You may then have to find out where you have to submit your application. Collect all the documents you are required to submit.If you want to study in Quebec you may have to follow their provincial guidelines.
- 5. You should have the letter of acceptance from the university before you apply for the study permit.
- 6. Fill the forms accurately and completely. Incomplete application packages will be returned to you and will not be processed.
- 7. There is a fee to apply for a study permit. Find out the amount you have to pay and how to pay them. The fee will not be refunded if your application is not accepted.
- 8. Once the visa office receives the application, it might request more information or documents, regarding medical information and security information.
- 9. When you arrive in Canada, you will be met by an official of the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) at the point of entry. You may be asked to show all your documents that you may need to enter Canada.
- 10. If you want to extend your stay as a student, you should apply for renewal at least 30 days before your current permit expires.