Warning: in_array() [function.in-array]: Wrong datatype for second argument in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/immigration-articles/wp-content/plugins/map-categories-to-pages/ListAllPagesFromCategory.php on line 37

How Do I Sponsor Family Members?

In Canada, one of the most popular pathways to Permanent Residency and immigration is through family sponsorship.

There are many different processes for doing this, however. Finding the right one for your circumstance is important. Below we will discuss the various ways to go about sponsoring you r family members.

Sponsoring family members

If you are at least 18 years old you can sponsor a family member to come to Canada and become a Permanent Resident. With permanent residency, this person can legally live, work, study or otherwise travel throughout Canada freely. They can also have access to most of the government services made available, such as social insurance.

All immigrants coming to Canada must be sponsored somehow. If it is through employment, an employer must sponsor the immigrant, in the case of family-based immigration, an eligible family member must sponsor the immigrant.

Forms that you will need to successfully apply for sponsorship status include:

  • IMM 1344 – this is the actual application for sponsorship and is officially called the Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking.
  • IMM 1283 – Financial Evaluation. The government of Canada must make sure that you have the sufficient funds to sponsor a relative for entry.
  • IMM 0008DEP – Used to declare the immigration of accompanying dependents with the principal immigration applicant.
  • IMM 5476 – Used to declare a representative if needed. This form is not required.

Sponsoring your spouse or dependent children New Canadian Family

Sponsoring a spouse or child to come to stay with you in Canada is one of the most common petition applications. Canada has a vested interest in making sure that the Permanent Residents and citizens of their country have cohesive families.

The forms listed above will be part of the application package you will use to apply for sponsorship of a relative

Parent and Grandparent visas

Parents and grandparents aren’t allowed to be sponsored under the typical family immigration program. However, there is a visa (the parent-grandparent supervisa) that allows them to come and visit you in Canada frequently and for extended periods of time.

Application status

You can check how far your application has come along in the process by logging into the CIC’s official website. There you can enter certain pieces of information included on your application form and you can get an estimate of how long you must wait.

Processing times

Processing times are often listed on government immigration websites to give immigrants an idea of how long it will take for their application to be accepted and completed by the agency. These numbers are estimations and it is important to remember that the times can be longer or shorter.