If you decide that you want to study in Canada you will have to apply for a study permit.
These documents allow foreign students to study at Canadian universities or schools, but not to work within the country. Students can additionally apply for the right to work, but, the study permit itself does not allow students to work.
There are some circumstances where the Canadian government, in the form of Citizenship and Immigration, will not allow you to come to Canada to study, such as:
- If you haven’t been accepted into a Canadian school. You will have to prove that you have been accepted into a university, college or vocational program to get a study permit.
- If you cannot support yourself financially. You should be able to demonstrate your ability to pay for all aspects of your stay in Canada as a student including tuition, living expenses and travel expenses to and from Canada.
- If you are a criminal. Canada does not wish to accept law-breaking individuals into the country and you may have to demonstrate that you do not have a police record by providing a police certificate.
- If you are seriously ill. Applicants for study permits in Canada must be of good health and be examined by a certified doctor.
- If you intend to commit immigration fraud. Study permits are what are known as non-immigrant visas and are completely temporary. If you intend to stay for any period of time after your visa expires you will be denied the permit. The best way to show that you will not violate Canada’s immigration law is to provide a copy of your return ticket to the immigration officer.
But, of course, as in all things, there are exceptions.
- Courses that take less than six months don’t even require a study permit. Really all you need for a class of that duration is a tourist visa, but those have their own rules and regulations, so be sure to examine them as well.
- Ambassadors or other foreign representatives of that variety don’t have to gather a study permit in some cases. Checking with your embassy will give you a better idea of what you will need to do to study in Canada.
- Foreign military members who are in the Visiting Forces Act don’t have to get study permits in Canada, but their dependents must.
Taking a close look at your application will give you a better idea of how the proper documentation works. Here at Immigration Direct, we’re providing you with “food for thought” if you will. Here we can give you an idea of your various immigration options in Canada and we hope that they help you in the course of your journey.