| Simplifying Immigration | is not affiliated with the Canadian Government or any Government Agency.


Welcome back. Go to your forms.

Papers You Will Need in Canada

There are many different documents that you will need to use when applying for entry to Canada and will have to maintain while residing in Canada. Getting a Permanent Resident Card requires at least some, if not all, of these documents.

Find out more about the documents you should get after you come to Canada on our articles page.


Please note that all of the below documents, if in a foreign language, must also be translated into either English or French. You should retain the original as well as the certified translation side-by-side.

  • Passport—Your current and valid passport. You may also want to keep any past passports you may have.
  • Birth certificate—Birth certificates are often issued by hospitals or local administrations in many countries.
  • Marriage certificate—Marriage Certificates are issued by local administrations or religious institutions and act as proof of your marriage.
  • Death certificate or divorce certificate of a dead spouse—If you are no longer married, but once were, you will need to provide proof of the termination of the marriage.
  • Adoption records—If you have adopted children with you when you immigrate to Canada you will need to maintain their records as well.
  • Diplomas, degrees, certificates or transcripts—Proof of the extent of your education will be necessary when applying for a job within Canada.
  • Vaccination records—Official medical documents that show that you have received necessary vaccinations are necessary while in Canada for both you and your children.
  • Medical records—Keeping your medical records orderly and complete will be useful when you apply for a national health card in Canada.
  • Driver’s licenses—If you have a driver’s license from your home country or an international driver’s license you will want to keep it for when you apply for a new driver’s license in Canada.

Goto Top