About Study Permit Form IMM 1294
Form IMM 1294 is used by individuals who want to apply for a study permit. Approved study permits may be limited to study at a certain school, or certain course of study.
In addition to applying for a study permit on Form IMM 1294, applicants outside of Canada must generally also apply for a Temporary Resident Visa. Exceptions to this requirement apply to applicants from visa-exempt countries. Please visit the CIC site at http://www.cic.gc.ca/ for more information on exemptions from the visa requirement.
Who Should Apply for a Study Permit?
Generally, if you are not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, you must obtain a study permit in order to study in Canada.However, certain exceptions to this general rule apply. Specifically:
- Minor children attending pre-school, primary or secondary levels;
- Family members or private staff accompanying a foreign representative of the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade of Canada, and
- Members of the armed forces of a country designated for the purposes of the Visiting Forces Act.
Study Permit Requirements
In order to qualify for a study permit, you must show the officer that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations and that you will be in Canada for a temporary stay only.You must also:
- Satisfy an officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your studies;
- Have a letter of acceptance from an educational institution;
- Prove that you have money for the duration of your stay in Canada to pay for:
- Tuition fees
- Living expenses for yourself and accompanying family members
- Transportation costs to and from Canada for yourself and accompanying family members
- Be law-abiding and have no record of criminal activity (you may be asked to provide a Police Clearance Certificate);
- Produce any additional documents requested by the officer to establish your admissibility;
- Not be a risk to the security of Canada;
- Be in good health (complete a medical examination, if required).
Additional forms you may need
- IMM 5645 - Family Information
- IMM 5257 - Schedule 1 - Application for Temporary Resident Visa
- IMM 5409 - Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union
- IMM 5476 - Use of a Representative
For more information, visit http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study.asp.