Permanent Resident Card Application

Application to Remain in Canada as a Temporary Resident Permit Holder

Form IMM 5708 can be used to extend a person's temporary stay in Canada.

What is Form IMM 5708?

Form IMM 5708, Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or Temporary Resident Permit Holder, is the form used by temporary residents to modify some conditions of their residency in Canada.

This form can be used to extend your temporary resident permit as many times as you like, provided you can show that your stay remains temporary.

This form does not affect one's status as a student or as a temporary worker in Canada. To extend student or work permits, applicants should use a different application.

Who should use Form IMM 5708?

Before filing an extension to your temporary resident permit, you should make sure that you are:

  • Filing at least thirty days before the expiration of your permit
  • Not still in Canada past the date of your permit's expiry
  • Currently in Canada

While you can sometimes continue to stay in Canada past the date of your permit's expiry, the process for doing that is reinstatement and not extension.

What are the filing requirements for Form IMM 5708?

Filing requirements for extending your temporary resident permit are relatively simple:

  • You need to be currently in Canada
  • You need to hold a current passport that will stay valid for the duration of your stay
  • You will need to pay the associated fee for Form IMM 5708
  • You will need to ensure that any other permits that you hold (Study or work) will stay valid and not interfere with your visitor permit.

After completing Form IMM 5708, the signed document, supporting documents, and payment receipt should be sent to the Vegreville office where it will be processed.

Forms you may also have to file

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice but general information on issues commonly encountered when dealing with immigration matters. Immigration Direct is not affiliated with the Canadian government, is not a law firm, and is not a substitute for a lawyer or law firm. Immigration Direct does not provide legal advice, opinions or recommendations to its users about their possible legal rights, legal remedies, legal defenses, legal options or legal strategies, selection of forms, or answers to specific questions on forms. Immigration Direct only provides self-help services at a user's direction. Communications between you and Immigration Direct are not protected by any privilege. Visitors to this site should seek appropriate legal or other professional advice and should not rely on information contained on this site without seeking such advice. Purchase price does not include application or filing fees that may be charged by Citizenship and Immigration Canada, or by any other agency. Please note that your access to and use of this site is subject to Immigration Direct's Terms of Use, which, by using this site, you are agreeing to.

The "Immigration Direct" mark and the "Simplifying Immigration" mark are trade-marks or registered trade-marks in Canada.

Copyright © 2011-2015 Immigration Direct. All Rights Reserved.