Prepare Your Canadian Citizenship Application Online!
Prepare and complete your Citizenship Application today! Complete your application quickly and correctly with our easy-to-use Form NavigatorTM technology.
Applying for Canadian Citizenship
Congratulations on making it this far! Becoming a citizen is the final step in the immigration process. It signifies your commitment to Canada and your intention to contribute to your adopted country as a member of its citizenry.
It is a big step, and it’s important to approach it with care.
Who Can Apply for Canadian Citizenship
To become a Canadian citizen, you must meet the following basic eligibility requirements:
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You must be a Permanent Resident of Canada.
- You must have resided in Canada for at least three of the last four years.
- You must not have any criminal prohibitions.
- You must pass the Citizenship Test and Interview.
Canada Citizenship Act - Criminal Prohibitions
You cannot become a citizen if you:
- Have been convicted of an indictable (criminal) offence or an offence under the Citizenship Act in the three years before you apply;
- Are currently charged with an indictable offence or an offence under the Citizenship Act;
- Are in prison, on parole or on probation;
- Are under a removal order (have been ordered by Canadian officials to leave Canada);
- Are under investigation for, are charged with, or have been convicted of a war crime or a crime against humanity; or
- Have had your Canadian citizenship taken away in the past five years.
Passing the Canada Citizenship Test and Interview
In order to pass the citizenship test and interview, you must be able to show the following:
- Adequate knowledge of English or French.
- Knowledge of Canada, including the rights and responsibilities of citizenship and an understanding of Canada's history, values, institutions and symbols.
What Are the Steps in the Canadian Citizenship Process?
- Complete your application quickly and accurately, with our easy-to-use Form NavigatorTM technology.
- Pay the government filing fee online.
- Gather your supporting documents and submit them with your application to CIC.
- Upon approval of your application, report to the local CIC office to collect your card.
- Upon approval, get sworn in at the Citizenship Ceremony.