Apply for Canada Visa Temporary Resident Using Form IMM 5257
About Canada Visa Form
Form IMM 5257 is used by individuals who want to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to visit Canada for a temporary purpose such as tourism, visiting family or friends, or business trips.
A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is the official document issued by a Canadian visa office that is placed in your passport to indicate that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, a student, or a worker).
Note: Individuals must obtain a TRV before departure from their home country. Individuals cannot obtain a TRV upon arrival in Canada.
Who Should Apply for a Canada Visa
Form IMM 5257 is for individuals who wish to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa from abroad to visit Canada.
Individuals who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada may require a visa to enter Canada. The requirement for a visa also applies to temporary residents who are transiting in Canada. Please visit the CIC site at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5256ETOC.asp for more information on individuals who are exempt from obtaining a Temporary Resident Visa to visit Canada.
Canada Visa Requirements
In order to qualify for a Temporary Resident Visa, individuals must show the officer that they meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations and that they will be in Canada for a temporary stay.
Individuals must also:
- satisfy an officer that they will leave Canada at the end of their stay;
- show that they have enough money to maintain themselves and their family members in Canada and to return home;
- not intend to work or study in Canada unless authorized to do so;
- be law abiding and have no record of criminal activity;
- not be a risk to the security of Canada;
- provide any additional document requested by the officer to establish their admissibility;
- be in good health (complete a medical examination if required).