After you have lived in Canada as a Permanent Resident for the required three out of four years you can get started on your application. Keep in mind that you have some flexibility regarding how to apply for citizenship for your dependents. You can either apply for their citizenship concurrently or at a later date, it makes no difference.
The first thing that you will need to do is gather the necessary documents for the application. The documents included in your application package should be copies, and not originals of the required documents. You will bring the originals with you to your interview for comparison.
- You will have to have two documents that prove that you are legally in Canada. You will need to have a PR Card and either a Record of Landing or a Confirmation of Permanent Residence form.
- You will also have to prove that you are competent in either of the official languages of Canada, French or English. Proof comes in various formats and the best idea is to find an government approved institution that can give you a proficiency test and then simply submit the results of the test in the application.
- You will also have to submit copies of all of the pages of your extant passports and any travel documents in your possession.
- If you or your children have gone to school in the previous four years you will need to include all appropriate school records.
- You will also need two forms of personal identification. This could be a driver’s license, an insurance card.
- Your payment receipt will also be necessary for a complete application. The cost is either $200 for applicants over 18 and $100 for children under 18. The currency is in Canadian dollars.
Keep in mind that if any of your documents are in a language other than English or French you will have to have it translated and have both the original and translated text within the application.
The next part is for you to fill out the application. In this stage of the application process Immigration Direct can help you with any questions you may have and further guide you through the process. After you have completed all of these steps all that remains is for the application to be mailed in. Sign up for Immigration Direct today and be sure that your application is filed correctly!