Application for a Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document

Permanent Resident Card Application
Prepare and complete Form IMM 5009 to obtain a Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document. Complete your application quickly and correctly with our step-by-step guidance that leads you through each question.

Fast, Easy, Professional. Let us help you complete a CIC application today!

Applying for a Verification of Status (VOS)

A Verification of Status document can be used as proof of historical immigration information and will contain information that was included on any of the following immigration documents:

  • IMM 0056, Certificate of Departure
  • IMM 1000, Immigrant Visa and Record of Landing
  • IMM 5292 (or 5688) Confirmation of Permanent Residence
  • IMM 1097 (or 1442), Visitor Record
  • IMM 1102 (or 1442), Work Permit
  • IMM 1208 (or 1442), Study Permit
  • IMM 1214, Exclusion Order
  • IMM 1215, Deportation Order
  • IMM 5238, Departure Order
  • IMM 1263, Permit to Come Into or Remain in Canada
  • IMM 1203, Authorization to Return to Canada

Applying for a Replacement of an Immigration Document

Form IMM 5009 is the application to obtain a replacement of a Temporary Resident document that has been lost, stolen or destroyed. You may file to have the following documents replaced:

  • Visitor Record
  • Work Permit
  • Study Permit
  • Temporary Resident Permit
  • Permit to Come Into or Remain in Canada

What is the IMM 5009 Application Process to obtain a Verification of Status or Replacement of an Immigration Document?

  1. Complete Section A "Personal Details". This section will ask you for personal information including your passport number and the date you entered Canada.
  2. Complete Section B "Documents Requested". Indicate if you are applying for a Verification of Status document of a replacement of a Temporary Resident Document. Indicate which particular document you are requesting.
  3. Complete Section C only if you entered Canada as a permanent resident before 1973.
  4. Provide supporting documentation including copies of birth and marriage certificates.
  5. Pay the processing fee.
  6. Submit your application.

Disclaimer: The information provided on this site is not legal advice but general information on issues commonly encountered when dealing with immigration matters. Immigration Direct is not affiliated with the Canadian government, is not a law firm, and is not a substitute for a lawyer or law firm. Immigration Direct does not provide legal advice, opinions or recommendations to its users about their possible legal rights, legal remedies, legal defenses, legal options or legal strategies, selection of forms, or answers to specific questions on forms. Immigration Direct only provides self-help services at a user's direction. Communications between you and Immigration Direct are not protected by any privilege. Visitors to this site should seek appropriate legal or other professional advice and should not rely on information contained on this site without seeking such advice. Purchase price does not include application or filing fees that may be charged by Citizenship and Immigration Canada, or by any other agency. Please note that your access to and use of this site is subject to Immigration Direct's Terms of Use, which, by using this site, you are agreeing to.

The "Immigration Direct" mark and the "Simplifying Immigration" mark are trade-marks or registered trade-marks in Canada.

Copyright © 2011-2015 Immigration Direct. All Rights Reserved.